Sunday 1 September 2013

Sam Sunday #27: Summer is Over


It's now September first, and for me that means the end of the six week summer holiday.  I go back to work on Thursday, although the children have another week off, so I won't meet my new class and start teaching them until the following Monday.  My husband is very jealous of this; he goes back to work tomorrow and starts teaching on Tuesday.  He did start his summer earlier than me, so it's only fair.

It's been a good summer.  We haven't been away as we've spent all our money on decorating the house, but it's been good to finally have some time in our new home and get everything the way we want it to be.  I've been able to lie in, relax and read to my heart's content, which has been very good for me as 2013 has been a tough year so far, for a range of reasons.  I definitely needed to step back, recharge my batteries and look after myself.

Although it's still warm, autumn is approaching - we were able to go blackberrying earlier today.  I love blackberries and we're lucky enough to live on the edge of several miles of countryside that has been allowed to be wild that is just full of blackberries.  I plan to eat some, freeze some and then use the rest to make a blackberry and apple pie or crumble (depending on how much effort I want to put into it!).

As for next week, I plan to enjoy my three days at home before going back to work on Thursday.  RIP VIII started today, so I've got some great books lined up.  Plus, with all that extra summer reading, I have quite a few reviews to write and schedule!

This week, I've been reading:
  

Reviews posted:

17 comments:

  1. The blackberries look delicious! I love making buckles and crumbles from them. And I'm also glad you got a chance to recharge before school starts back. Wishing you a wonderful school year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love blackberries! Growing up, we had some growing wild on a hill behind our house, but now we have to go to a farm and pay to pick them. I'm going to miss the summer fruits and vegetables. I'm interested in what you think of Z.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never realized how much shorter summer vacation was in the UK than it is here. I suppose I shouldn't have been complaining about going back so soon much when I wasn't teaching year-round ;) Those blackberries look incredible - I bet they would be perfect in a pie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy, delicious blackberries! As much as I love the autumn months, it's sad that summer is quickly coming to an end. Good for you on taking some time for restoration and relaxation. We all need that from time and time and best wishes for a wonderful new school term.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you enjoy your last free days, I have the last day off of summer vacation today and I have to get back to work tomorrow - bleh. Berries look so yummi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter started back last week and my son today but then we have been off for 10 weeks! Wishing you all the best for the new term. PS Z is a wonderful read but the I love all things Zelda!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those blackberries look scrumptious :) It's great that you were able to do a bit of resting and recharging. I hope you have a fantastic school year :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful blackberries! They're making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've inspired me to go blackberrying tomorrow. Apparently it's been an excellent year for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I missed your review of A Reliable Wife so I just checked it out. I keep going back and forth on whether to read it! For every rave review there's one like yours, so I may not bother with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you've had a relaxing and productive Summer holiday. I work in schools too and will be going back on Thursday. I hope you have a good new term.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hallo, Hallo Sam!

    :) I came in search of your Septemb-Eyre post, but saw that you are reading Z(elda!) for which I have such a warm-hearted memory of reading this year myself! :) I decided not to blog about it as I was wrapped up with the Fitzgerald's lives for the greater part of January-May, with the full measure of my joy overflowing when I went to see *The Great Gatsby*!! I had originally wanted to read the book prior to the film but in the end, I was simply thankful I had the opportunity to see the film in June rather than May, as I was a bit delayed getting to the theater! What a brilliant way to conclude a six-month emmersion as much as celebrating my birthday! As I get into Gatsby the novel either lateron this year or early next, I will re-visit the film! To me, this new version (its the only adaptation I have seen!) truly peered into their lives as an example of how outrageous a portion of their lives had become and how true to form all that insanity can yield. I kept smiling because pieces of Z floated to mind throughout the film!!

    Meanwhile, I hope that you are having a nice visit with Zelda, and walk away with a good feeling like I did when the story concludes. Their lives were tumultuous yes, but there was a lot of mirth to them as well. The ending gutted me, but its the ending that was real.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like you had a relaxing and productive summer. As a mama, I am so appreciative of you and all of the other teachers who work so hard. I hope your transition back into teaching is a smooth one!

    Enjoy Z - I can't wait to see what you think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pleased you've had a good relaxing summer. Just how a summer holiday should be! Good luck for going back to work and meeting your new class - exciting stuff.

    Blackberries! And you're reading Z! So many good things :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really hope you love Z. It was such a great and inspiring reading!

    ReplyDelete