Friday 16 August 2013

Classics Club Spin #3



I've decided to take part in the third Classics Club Spin.  Basically, you list twenty books from your classics club list and then on Monday, a random number will be posted on the Classics Club website.  The challenge is then to read the book that number corresponds to by October 1st.  I'm excited to take part again as last time, I spun Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier, which I absolutely loved.  I hope the spin is as kind to me this time...

There are no rereads in my list.

Five Books I Can't Wait to Read:
1. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall - Anne Bronte
2. The Good Earth - Pearl Buck
3. Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston
4. Out of Africa - Isak Dinesen
5. The Painted Veil - W. Somerset Maugham

Five Books I Am Neutral About:
6. Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
7. Peter Pan - J.M. Barrie
8. The Awakening - Kate Chopin
9. Goodbye to Berlin - Christopher Isherwood
10. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Five Books I Am Dreading/ Need a Push to Start:
11. Moby Dick - Herman Melville
12. The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
13. Hard Times - Charles Dickens
14. Orlando - Virginia Woolf
15. Tess of D'Ubervilles - Thomas Hardy

Five Random Selections Using a Random Number Generator:
16. Turn of the Screw - Henry James
17. Kim - Rudyard Kipling
18. Persuasion - Jane Austen
19. Little Dorrit - Charles Dickens (not another Dickens!)
20. Bonjour Tristesse - Francoise Sagan

Are you taking part in the classics club spin?
Leave a link to your list if you are, I love looking at other people's lists.

17 comments:

  1. You shouldn't dread Orlando. It's my second favourite Woolf. Also, I loved Their Eyes Were Watching God and The Good Earth.... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Woolf in general I dread, not just Orlando!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Tess is not so bad once you start it. I'm reading an e-notated version and I am enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some good stuff on your list! I can't wait to see which number they give us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo you have some brilliant choices here! The Painted Veil is so so good. The movie is pretty wonderful too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne Bronte - lovely! The Tenant is wonderful. Good luck with the spin. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tess of the d'Urbevilles is also in my list! ( http://anywayidontcare.blogspot.com.es/2013/08/the-classics-spin-3.html )
    I read Les Misérables last month and I didn't like it that much, maybe the fact that everybody is loving it and saying how wonderful it is had something to do with it. Oh, and I loved Goodbye to Berlin by Isherwood, his two stories about Berlin are great, and I hope to read more by him soon!
    Oh, and I'm curious about 'The Good Earth', I've been wanting to read something by Pearl S. Buck for some time now but, as I'm not particularly excited about it, I always keep end up reading some other book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my absolute favourites. When Dumas wrote it, it was serialised. It was the equivalent of a drama television series for the people of the time. You definitely shouldn't dread such a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hope you enjoy whichever book is picked - there's a lot of great ones there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an excellent list! Hopefully whichever book ends up winning will be enjoyable to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's my list: http://karensbooksandchocolate.blogspot.com/2013/08/classics-club-spin-third.html

    I loved The Painted Veil, I really hope you get that one. And Persuasion is my very favorite Jane Austen book of all time.

    However, I absolutely hated Hard Times -- by far, the least good of all Dickens (and I've read most of them). And The Turn of the Screw was the longest 150 pages I've read in my entire life. I did put Portrait of a Lady on my CC list and it will probably be the very last one that I read. After Moby-Dick and The Hunchback of Notre Dame!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with your list. I'm also taking part in the spin :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Good Earth is one of my all-time favorites. Doesn't look like we have any books in common for this spin. Here's my list: http://wildmoobooks.blogspot.com/2013/08/classics-club-spin-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I felt exactly the same as Karen K. about Turn of the Screw. Ugh! But I liked Hard Times - it might be my least favorite Dickens too, but there is one character who I found especially comical. I liked The Good Earth a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. One more vote for The Count of Monte Cristo! It is wonderful, there is adventure, romance, intrigue, great characters... Give it a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Awakening by Kate Chopin is such a good book! I'm positive you'll love it. And well, Tess must be pretty good but it is so sad and realistic that I totally understand why you feel like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I saw your comment in "The bookworm chronicles" and I just wanted to say that Out of Africa was my previous spin and I didn't know it was a memoir book about the time the author lived in Africa instead of being a fictional story, but I liked it anyway. It was an interesting reading. HOpe you like it!

    ReplyDelete