Saturday 15 September 2012

Little Women Readalong



I'm joining in the Little Women read along at Breadcrumb Reads, running from 14th September to 5th October, with discussion posts every Friday.  Earlier in the year, I discovered that my battered, much-loved copy of the book was in fact an abridged version and ever since then I've been wondering what was omitted from the text.  This readalong is therefore the perfect time for me to experience the whole book for the first time.

I'll be reading the gorgeous Penguin Threads edition and it will count towards my Classics Club list as book four of seventy-two.  Although I read the abridged version many times as a child, I haven't read it recently and I wonder if my reaction will still be the same.  I always wanted to be like feisty, determined Jo or peaceful Beth but I have a feeling that I'm more of an Amy.  I hope it hasn't ruined me, but I was the youngest daughter growing up and consequently I was a bit spoiled.  I was permanently in a one-woman race to be grown up already, to do everything my older sister did.  I would never have done anything like throw her manuscript in the fire but I'm definitely more like Amy than any of the other sisters.

I'm hoping Little Women will still give me that cosy, safe feeling it did as a teenager.  I want the sisters to feel like old friends and the book like revisiting a favourite.

The readalong is very low-key and I'm sure Risa is still accepting sign-ups if anyone wants to join us in reading Little Women this month.

16 comments:

  1. Little Women is one of my all time favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, I was shocked to realise that all those years I was actually only reading the abridged version!

      Delete
  2. I'm overcommitted as it is the coming two months, but I wish you happy reading :) Coincidentally, Dolce Bellezza is doing a read-along of Little Women in December I think. Your editions is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am overcomitted in reading and probably in life too at the moment! :P
      I didn't know Dolce Bellezza was hosting a readalong as well, it's good to see Little Women get so much attention.

      Delete
  3. I've had my eye on that edition also! :-) I thought I might re-read this in December for sentimental reasons. I don't know how old I was, but I remember reading it during our Christmas break one year growing up. It makes me think of my parent's den and the fireplace. I wonder sometimes if my memory is accurate... Either way, its a good memory! I hope your experience is a good one! I love reading that evokes that cozy, warm feeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know that Dolce Bellezza is hosting a Readalong in December?

      So many people seem to associate this book with Christmas. I associate it with summer as I would always reread it during the long summer break from school.

      Delete
    2. Mine isn't as much of an official read along as this lovely one you're participating in, Sam...it's just a shared read that Tom of Wuthering Heights and I are doing, and inviting any others who'd care to read it to jump in with us. This will be my first time actually reading it through from start to finish (I hope)! It's interesting how readers have favorite times of the year for certain books; I think that basically a classic can be read any time at all. I just remember that this novel opens on Christmas morning. Or right around there. Happy Reading! I'll be back to check out all the posts!

      Delete
  4. What a perfect fall read! I vividly remember my hardcover edition from childhood. I also found it that it was abridged, but it's a great place to start the Alcott love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you feel shocked to discover your version was abridged? Because I was! There I was imagining I had read the book several times when actually I hadn't read it at all!

      Delete
  5. I loved this book and its sequels when I was a girl. :-) I hope you enjoy it as much as you did when you were a teen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not read any of the sequels, but it's definitely something I'm interested in :)

      Delete
  6. I am going to go against the grain here and say I really could not get on with the book at all both as a child and most recently. I think it will be a book which will remain unread.

    Although I would happily have that lovely edition on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...I love your Penguin Threads edition, it's so lovely!
    Good luck with the readalong... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know? I've just begun reading Little Women, the penguin classics edition, and I'm beginning to have the feeling my case is the same as yours! So basically, this isn't REALLY a re-read I think. And I thought I knew this book by heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, I re-read Little Women earlier this year, otherwise I would have loved to take part! I have to say, though, that Edition is BEAUTIFUL! *looks crossly at own, less beautiful penguin clothbound edition* How many copies of Little Women is too many..?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Almost all Classics I read were abridhed and I was shocked too to note that later on. Little Women still holds a place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete