Sunday 29 July 2012

Bring Up The Bodies by Hilary Mantel


In the sequel to the Booker prize winning Wolf Hall, Thomas Cromwell has enabled King Henry to marry Anne Boleyn but not everything has worked out as he had hoped.  Although Anne has given birth to the Princess Elizabeth, she's had many miscarriages and seems unable to bring a child to term.  Worse, the English people haven't accepted Anne as rightful Queen and relations with Rome are at an all time low.  When Henry spends time at Wolf Hall and notices Jane Seymour, Cromwell seizes his chance to both help the King and take revenge on those who have acted against him in the past.  As he works to bring about the final days of Anne Boleyn and her courtiers, Cromwell makes new allies and seeks even greater power.

I should start this review by mentioning that I was ambivalent towards Wolf Hall.  I know it was loved by many bloggers but I found it a stuffy and tedious read that was hard to get through. I'm pleased to report that many things that I found difficult about Wolf Hall were not present in Bring Up The Bodies; the pacing was tighter, the pronoun use was clearer and there was more action in the story.  Like Wolf Hall, one thing I admired was how Mantel has taken a well known and much written about period of history and made it fresh and relevant. There is no screen of sentimentality, it feels as though Mantel is writing about how it must have been like to actually live then, rather than just look back on it.

Thomas Cromwell is a fascinating character.  I admired his slyness and intelligence in Wolf Hall, but he takes it to new levels in Bring Up The Bodies.  It becomes clear that this is a man who never forgets a thing, who watches all of those around him and is always poised, waiting for the right moment to strike at his enemies. This can come across as downright chilling;

"Would Norris understand if he spelled it out?  He needs guilty men.  So he has found men who are guilty.  Though perhaps not guilty as charged."

Overall, there was much I admired about Bring Up The Bodies.  In my opinion, it was a tighter, more successful novel than Wolf Hall.  But despite admiring the characterisation and the writing, reading this book just wasn't a pleasurable experience for me.  I've been thinking about it over the last few days and I can't quite put my finger on why, but reading Bring Up The Bodies was an effort.  I never wanted to pick the book up and it seemed to take forever to get through it.  Enjoyment is such a big part of the reading experience for me, so even though I admired the book, it fell short at this vital hurdle.  I know I'm in a minority on this one, but I didn't enjoy reading it, it just didn't 'click' with me.  I doubt I'll pick up the third volume in the series when it is released.

Source: Library
First Published: 2012
Score: 3.5 out of 5

22 comments:

  1. Wolf Hall defeated me despite my best efforts to read it. I don't think this one will engage me either. Thanks for the honest review, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one who found Wolf Hall difficult, I kept wondering what I was missing seeing as how almost everyone loved it!

      Delete
  2. I liked Wolf Hall a lot but not nearly as much as most people seemed to. I think it was my third choice for the Booker that year. I agree with you that the sequel is tighter and more readable, but somehow with the tightening up, I felt some of the scope that made Wolf Hall so impressive was lost. I enjoyed both of them enough that I'll read the final volume, but I can definitely see why these wouldn't be everyone's favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, I think the scope was part of what made Wolf Hall difficult for me, so I didn't miss it. I found Wolf Hall too waffly so was pleased to see a focus on action. I will probably change my mind about reading the third volume when it comes out! :P

      Delete
  3. I have got Wolf Hall with me but the time haven't come where I feel I should read it. A bit trepidation after reading your review. I'll give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I am in the minority, most people loved both Wolf Hall and the sequel. I'll be interested to see what you make of it one day.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed Wolf Hall but it wasn't easy reading so I'm not rushing to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat, this is easier to read than Wolf Hall, definitely. A better book in my opinion.

      Delete
  5. Great review. I haven't read Wolf Hall (on the long list of meaning-to-get-to books), this sounds like a better read- must you read Wolf Hall first in order to enjoy this one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard when continuing with a book is an effort. I've just this year finally given myself permission to not finish a book; while I'm usually so compulsive about finishing whatever I start, somehow I just don't want to turn my joy into a job.

    I haven't read Wolf Hall, but I did receive Bringing Up The Bodies to review. While i'm glad to hear it's a faster, tighter plot, I'm still a bit apprehensive about reading it. In other words, I started it several times but never got past page 4. Oh, dear...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful review -- I appreciate your candor. You actually aren't the first person who hasn't been swoony over Mandel's book -- so I feel a little okay about putting it lower on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Er, what I mean is, you're not the first blogger I've read who has admitted to being cool on Mandel's novel -- small voices of dissent. :)

      Delete
  8. Hmm, I wonder if you should try to LISTEN to #3, I listened to both Wolf Hall and Bring Up The Bodies, and enjoyed them immensely. see my review: http://wordsandpeace.com/2012/06/13/2012-27-review-bring-up-the-bodies/, with a fantastic narrator

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I don't enjoy audio books at the best of times, so I doubt listening to this would have helped me, no matter how fantastic the narrator! :P
      I am completely a visual learner.

      Delete
  9. It sounds as if several of my quibbles with Wolf Hall have been addressed, so I am looking forward to Bring Up the Bodies. Although I have a print copy, would rather listen to the audio read by the incomparable Simon Vance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I was pleased to see some of my quibble addressed too. I don't tend to enjoy audio books so print worked better for me, but you should try to get your hands on the audio!

      Delete
  10. Isn't it strange that there is a certain undefinable quality that makes a book enjoyable instead of admired from a distance? I don't know what it is, but I agree that is very important during reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's exactly it, the undefinable quality wasn't there. Wish I could define it though!

      Delete
  11. I really, really want to read this novel. Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I felt the same way about Wolf Hall too. I was so looking forward to it but it felt short. I think in part it was my own fault - I started it somehow expecting it to be about Oliver Cromwell and well, it wasn't. But even though I admired the book and the effort put into it, I just didn't love it. I'm glad to hear that the sequel is better. I will probably pick it up at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, I didn't know there was going to be a third volume. And that's the exact quote I was struggling to remember in my review! Very disturbing. Are you interested in the Tudors in general or just reading this for the literary aspect? I wonder if that makes a difference in reader enjoyment...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wolf Hall has been on my TBR list for a couple of years. I really need to read both, and I am intrigued that you like Bring Up the Bodies even more. Very well written review, and wow! Hilary Mantel has lived an extremely interesting life. Great review, and I appreciate your linking-up! Thanks so much!

    Marlene Detierro (Gold Beach Oregon Fishing)

    ReplyDelete