Sunday 11 March 2012

Thoughts on the Orange Prize Long-List 2012


So the long-list for the Orange Prize has been announced.  The Orange Prize celebrates excellence in fiction written by women and it's the only prize that I follow properly.  Every year when the short-list comes out I try to read as many books from it as I can and I've discovered some great books this way (Half of a Yellow Sun, Small Island, We Need To Talk About Kevin etc).  I've not yet met an Orange prize book that I haven't enjoyed.

This year, I've decided to step up my reading for the Orange Prize and I'm hoping to read most of the books from the long-list.  Some I already own but the rest I've placed holds on at the library.  Here are my selections from the long-list:

Island Of Wings by Karin Altenberg


This is the one I am most excited to read.  It's set in 1830 and is about a minister and his wife settling in the Hebrides.   Neil is evangelical and hopes to fight the pagan ways of the islanders, whilst Lizzie just wants an adventure.  But soon their marriage is in trouble and there are rumours of hauntings on the cliff-tops.  This book is supposed to have a Wuthering Heights-esque atmosphere, one of the main reasons I can't wait to read it.

Status:  On hold at the the library, #2 in the queue.



Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan


I've been meaning to read this since it was short-listed for the Booker so now I have the perfect opportunity.   Set in Berlin in 1939, it's about black jazz player who is arrested despite being a German citizen.   He is never heard from again, but what really happened?

Status: On hold at the library, #1 in queue (so I could receive this any time between tomorrow and three weeks from now).



The Translation of the Bones by Francesca Kay


I love a religious slant to my literary fiction, so this novel about the mania that descends on an ordinary church after Mary-Margaret witnesses a miracle should be perfect for me.   It looks like there are lots of wonderful side-lines too - sons fighting in Afghanistan, living in tower blocks, links to Ireland.

Status: On hold at the library, #1 in queue (I love getting in ahead of all the other readers!)



Painter of Silence by Georgina Harding


Painter of Silence is about Romania in 1948, the new Communist regime and the danger and horror it bought.  I'm hoping it will be powerful but in a beautiful way too, along the lines of The Cellist of Sarajevo.


Status: On hold at the library, #3 in the queue






Tides of War by Stella Tillyard.


The straightest historical fiction on the list, Tides of War is about a war I know little about, the Peninsular War of 1812-1815.  It's about a couple, Harriet and James, as James leaves to join the Duke of Wellington's troops and Harriet gets a taste of the freedom available for women left behind.

Status: On hold at the library, #1 in queue




The Sealed Letter by Emma Donoghue


I know, I know, I really need to read Room.  And I will - I already own it but in the meantime The Sealed Letter actually has caught my attention more.  It's based on a scandalous court case of divorce in Victorian times with accusations of rape, adultery and secrets.  I just know I'm going to love it.

Status: On hold at the library, #1 in queue (I expect to receive this one first as unlike the others, there are multiple copies available in the system).


The Song Of Achilles by Madeline Miller


I've seen many positive reviews of this book on other blogs so even though it's not the kind of book I would usually give up, I've decided to give it a try.  It's a retelling of the Trojan war, so I'm hoping to learn a lot about Ancient Greece as I read it.

Status: On hold at the library, #1 in queue.






The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.


I'm sure this book doesn't need any introduction, given that it has been surrounded by the hype monster for quite some time!  I actually received this one for Christmas, but was planning to wait until all the hype died down before reading it.  I really hope it lives up to all of my expectations.

Status: owned (physical copy)




State Of Wonder by Ann Patchett.


State of Wonder will be my first Patchett, and I'm very much looking forward to it.  I love the sound of the Amazon rainforest setting and the medical premise.  I got this one on a kindle daily deal for the bargain price of just 99p so it's good that I will finally have the push to get it read.

Status: Owned (kindle).



So as you can see, I will be quite busy with my reading over the coming weeks!  It does feel good to get in with the library holds before the books become very popular though :)

Will you be following the Orange prize?
Which of the books I have highlighted are you most interested in?

20 comments:

  1. Most of those sound like something I would want to read. And of course you already know about my feelings regarding The Night Circus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I love that about the Orange Prize! I could have gone for others too, but just don't have the time to read all of the ones that sound interesting.

      Delete
  2. You always pick such a great assortment of books! I like the sound of all of these and I'm looking forward to your reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish,
      If only I had time to read all the books I pick out! :P

      Delete
  3. I really want to read all of these, I'm on hold for a few of them at the library too, but I would so love to see The Night Circus win the Orange Prize! I loved that book so much words can't even describe - nothing has measured up to it since!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bex,
      It would be great if we ended up reading some of these books at the same time! I hope that I enjoy The Night Circus as much as you did :)

      Delete
  4. The song of achilles is one I'm interested in. I love the ancient greeks and their mythology so I am thinking about buying this book myself! Good luck with you reading the whole list - will be following your reviews closely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel,
      I'm interested in Ancient Greece too (I actually taught it when I was teaching year 3) but must admit to finding the mythology confusing. Hopefully Song of Achilles will help!

      Delete
  5. I need to get round to picking up The Night Circus, I have it waiting for me. I'd quite like to read Island of Wings and The Sealed Letter but none of the other longlist titles have had me running out to get them.

    I had thought about The Song of Achilles before it was longlisted but the Trojan War has proved to be the one party of Ancient Greece that doesn't hold my interest for long (too many people involved I think).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had The Night Circus waiting for a while too, now I finally have a reason to read it. I find the Trojan War quite tricky to follow, but I hope Song of Achilles will clear things up for me!

      Delete
  6. I'm not planning to read all or even most of the long-list this year, but there are a few that I'm interested in reading. Of the titles you've picked out, Island of Wings, Tides of War and The Song of Achilles appeal to me the most. I noticed you haven't mentioned Gillespie and I by Jane Harris - I read that one last year and loved it. It reminded me of a Victorian sensation novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason the description of Gillespie and I didn't really appeal to me but now I'm reconsidering as I love Victorian sensation novels! I will try to read it too if I have the time, if only I didn't have to do everyday things like sleep and go to work!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the list! I'm going to read and review most of these books for my book review blog. Am especially looking forward to Night Circus.

    Please visit me at http://riversihaveknown.wordpress.com/. I just did a review on last year's Orange prize winner. please tell me if you like it.
    If you like the blog, please follow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, which ones are you reading? It would be great to read some together and compare notes :)

      I am now following your blog through google reader, it looks great!

      Delete
  8. I loved The Night Circus, and I've read some Ann Patchett, but not this one. Most of these I'm unfamiliar with (being mostly a YA reader...) I'll be looking forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annette,
      I was unfamiliar with quite a few of these too before the longlist was announced. Makes discovering them that bit more exciting :)

      Delete
  9. I'm ashamed to say that I hadn't read the descriptions of the books I didn't recognize, but anything set in the Hebrides always intrigues me. I'd recently read There But For The, and it was great, and I loved The Night Circus (although I was surprised to see it in the list, to be honest, it seems a little outside the usual genre chosen!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny,
      I was surprised at The Night Circus too, it would be a shame if it won due to hype because it's not an Orange style book. I didn't pick There But For The because I didn't really like Smith's book The Accidental. Am I missing something wonderful?

      Delete
  10. There have been lots of shortlist books that I've read and loved, too. Good luck with your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved both Gillespie and I and Island of Wings. Enjoy your Orange reading!

    ReplyDelete