Sunday 18 September 2011

Sunday Salon: Back to Work / Villette


You may have noticed that my posting rate has slowed considerably lately, and the reason for this is that I went back to work two weeks ago.  After six long weeks of honeymooning and reading as much as I wanted to, it's been quite an adjustment getting back into the swing of busy every day life.

I've had a good start to this academic year.  I have a new class, a new classroom to set up and I'm teaching in a year group that I've never taught in before.  All this results in work being more time-demanding than it was last year, when I had a new class but in the same year group in the same classroom.  It is nice to have a change and a bit of a challenge but it does encroach on my reading time.

Given that I've been so busy and my thoughts are all tied up with school, I don't really know why I decided that now would be the perfect time to read Charlotte Bronte's Villette.  I'm making slow progress with it (my kindle declares I am now 69% done) but very much enjoying it so far.  It's very deep and heart-felt, and it makes Jane Austen's books look positively light and fluffy.  But after I finish it, I'm definitely up for something a bit easier to read.

Work should be settling down over the next few weeks as I get more used to my new working schedule, so I'm looking forward to reading and posting lots more soon.

11 comments:

  1. I love Vilette-I imagine as a teacher you can really relate to the wonderful parts of the book set in the school-

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best with the teaching! It's a long time since I read Villette, but I love any of the Bronte novels so it would be a good re-read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel, I am loving it and yes, can relate, especially to that first lesson Lucy takes where none of the girls want to behave!

    Linda - My favourite Bronte is Charlotte, as I'm loving Villette and did enjoy Jane Eyre. I wasn't a fan of Wuthering Heights though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought beacuse you were back in the swing of things at school, posting had gone quiet.

    I have not read Vilette but I think I shall one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (6) week honeymoon - how terrific. Hope your year of teaching is a rewarding one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jo - You thought right! Villette is a very good read so far, I'm enjoying it more than I did Jane Eyre.

    Diane - I wish I was still on honeymoon! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read Sam's comment -- I've been afraid of this book but if it might be better than Jane, well, maybe I should reconsider....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Starting a new year is hard enough, but coming back from 6 weeks of honeymooning must make the transition even more difficult! Hope things settle into a manageable routine soon. I've never read Vilette, but would like to at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should try it Annette, but it's a long and slow paced read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Villette is quite demanding, Sam. More than Jane Eyre, for instance. And yes! School has started over and my reading/blogging/watching time too must be reduced. But I don't surrender! I need my free space. I've got 5 different classes. I teach them English as a foreign language and English Literature. Spare time must be stolen from ...sleep!
    Have a good start of a new year, Sam. You'll make it! Your enthusiasm will sustain you in the new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope that the new teaching challenges this year are good ones for you!

    ReplyDelete